Mumbai3 minutes ago
- copy link
In the petition, Sushant’s father KK Singh has said that his son’s name should be stopped from being used in films.
The Delhi High Court will today pronounce its verdict on a petition filed by actor Sushant Singh Rajput’s father, seeking a stay on the production and release of four films on Sushant’s life. These films include ‘Nyay: The Justice’, ‘Suicide or Murder: A Star Was Lost’, ‘Shashank’ and an untitled film.
A bench of Justice Sanjeev Narula can pronounce its verdict around 11 am. In the petition, Sushant’s father Krishna Kishore Singh has sought a ban on the use of his son’s name or similar characters in films.
The first film is releasing on June 11
The first film to be made on Sushant’s life ‘Nyay: The Justice’ is set to release on June 11. Seeking to stop this, KK Singh has said that his son’s name or his choice should be stopped from being used in the proposed films. The filmmakers are making a film on this side to take advantage of the situation.
In the petition, KK Singh has said that such films, web series, books or interviews may be published, which can harm the reputation of his son or his family. He has demanded a compensation of Rs 2 crore from the filmmakers for this.
Filmmaker’s argument in court
Advocate Chander Lal, appearing for the director of the film ‘Nyay: The Justice’, has argued that Sushant Singh Rajput’s name or his likes have not been included in the film. This is not a biopic of Sushant. It is not right to stop someone from making a film. Freedom of expression is given in the constitution. Sushant was a celebrity and people want to know what happened to him. Not only this, the release of the film has been widely publicized, so no assurance can be given on stopping it.
The mystery of Sushant’s death remains unsolved even after a year
Actor Sushant Singh Rajput’s body was found hanging from a fan in a flat in Mumbai’s Bandra area on 14 June 2020. After his death, Mumbai Police started investigation calling it a suicide. Later, the Enforcement Directorate, CBI, NCB and Bihar Police also entered the case. Even after almost a year, it is still not clear whether Sushant’s death is murder or suicide. However, the evidence so far only points towards suicide.
After Sushant’s death, his father had also lodged an FIR against actress Rhea Chakraborty and her family alleging embezzlement of 17 crores. There was also an entry of drugs angle in this case and NCB has arrested about 40 people in this case so far.